As I'm sitting here thinking of how awesome Fall is, I hear the sounds of Elvis' Christmas music wafting in from the next room. It IS FINALLY that time of year again. =)
One of my favorite Fall flavors is caramel apple. And, yes.... I have a cupcake that is the definition of delish. If you want to know how to make the caramel apple cupcake.... continue reading!!
Caramel Apple Cupcakes:
fresh apple cake
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add butter to mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apples.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12 cup) cupcake pans; spoon batter into cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a cake taster (knife or toothpick) inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, let cool completely. Makes 24 cupcakes.
1 cup butter
1 (16 oz) package of dark brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
4 cups powdered sugar
- Melt butter in a 3-qt saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in evaporated milk, baking soda, and corn syrup; bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let cool completely (about 1 hour). Transfer to a bowl.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to the caramel mixture, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until cream. Use immediately. Makes 3 cups.
The baking soda in the frosting helps to prevent the caramel from becoming grainy. We don't want frosting that feels like sand, do we? Nope. I didn't think so.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. I made samples (mini cupcakes) and within an hour they were completely gone.